Miles Benjamin Roberts was born yesterday, September 22 at about 2:00PM.
Miles will start school in 2010 or 2011. Here’s what I hope he finds:
1. A place that cares as much about his happiness as his education.
2. A place that cares more about his love of learning than his test scores.
3. A place where he feels safe and welcome and can’t wait to get to every morning.
4. A place that honors creativity more than memorization.
5. A place that has a library full of stories and a librarian who makes them come alive.
6. A place where technology hasn’t taken the place of playing with blocks, finger-painting, naps, graham crackers, or a teacher’s soft encouragement.
7. A place where he learns to work and play with kids who make not have been given the blessings of a middle-class lifestyle or a fully-functioning body or brain.
8. A place that teaches kindness along with math, tolerance along with history, and conservation along with science.
9. A place where teachers are excited about teaching and passionate about encouraging the passions in their students.
10. A place where he is never compared to his older brother, Paul.
Mom and baby are doing fine, but Dad sounded a little hyper. - Grandpa Doug
4 Comments »
Congrats and good wishes!
Your list is inspiring… especially #10.
Comment by Alice Yucht — September 23, 2005 @ 2:57 pm
I wish the Johnson/Roberts family all the very best with their new little one and hope Mr. Paulie will adjust easily. I’m watching for a picture as soon as you can post one. Your list is wonderfully touching. Hope you get to cuddle him soon
Comment by Sara — September 23, 2005 @ 6:35 pm
Congratulations!! I have shared your list with my faculty. I copied it into an email along with the blog address so they would not miss it - in spite of the fact that our filter will block access to the actual blog. What a lucky baby to have you for a grandfather.
Your blog posting will go into my “beginning of the year” folder so that I am sure to read it every September. Enjoy every moment with your new little blessing!
Comment by Jacquie Henry — September 23, 2005 @ 7:11 pm
Mazel tov! Don’t worry - Dad will calm down and Paul will figure things out. Can’t make guarantees about the other items on your list, but we can all hope. Enjoy!
Comment by Frances Jacobson Harris — September 24, 2005 @ 4:37 pm