This came in the inbox this past week:
Doug,I retired 2 years ago and enjoy this list [You Know You're a Librarian in 2005 when... ] every time I come across it. Have you updated it?Thanks,Deborah
You’ve probably seen some version of this popular list…
You know you’re living in 200x when…
- You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.
- You haven’t played solitaire with real cards in years.
- You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.
- You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.
- Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don’t have e-mail addresses…
- (15 more…)
So how do you know you’re a 21st century librarian? When…
- You have to remind kindergarteners to turn off their cell phones before the story starts.
- You know what an IP number is but not an ISBN number.
- You have a student who does a better job troubleshooting the circulation system than the district technician.
- Your students think both The Princess and the Frog and Meet the Robinsons were written by Walt Disney.
- You know more librarians in Texas than you do in your home state because of LM_Net, TL-Ning and SecondLife.
- The best way to remind a student about an overdue book through Facebook.
- You don’t talk in the teachers lounge about a project because it is not tied directly to a state test.
- When answering a reference question, you head to an Internet terminal.
- You’ve started dressing like your avatar.
- Kids look at you funny when you call it the “the card catalog.”
- You have 5th grade girls who sport more tats and metal studs than a biker gang.
- You have more polo shirts with computer logos than you do book logos - and 25% of your wardrobe comes from vendor booths at conferences.
- Your students show you how to get around the district Internet filter so you can teach a lesson.
- Your aid spends more time troubleshooting the network than reshelving books.
- You never see anyone copy out of the print encyclopedia anymore.
- Your index finger has a callous from tapping the SmartBoard.
- You didn’t get your last grad class assignment turned in on time because the network was down and you haven't attended a F2F class in years.
- You’ve Googled the new teachers in your building - and all the kids have Googled you.
- You don’t remember the last time you’ve had to alphabetize something.
- You have all your passwords and PIN numbers are on your PDA - and you can’t remember the password for your PDA!