A weekend Blue Skunk "feature" will be a revision of an old post. I'm calling this BFTP: Blast from the Past. Original post July 13, 2007. A follow-up post with a list of Mankato's 7 wonders is here. I'm hoping these posts encouraged a lot of teachers to ask their students to complie lists of 7 wonders of their own making.
I am spending a long weekend attending my stepson Louie's destination wedding here in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I was a little uncertain about what to do with myself while the ladies in the wedding party got their nails done, decorated tables, and other girl stuff.
Luckily this morning's Grand Forks Herald's "Ask Marilyn" advice column had a list of the Seven Wonders of Grand Forks. Not to be outdone by the recent contest selecting the world's seven wonders, Marilyn happily supplied my targets. I spent the day on foot tracking down these midwestern marvels.
1. Themis, the Goddess of Justice who stands atop the Grand Forks County Courthouse.
2. The smiling water tower on South Washington Street - on one side he is winking.
3. The world's largest bra in front of Artsplace - the LWW here provides scale - of height, of course.
4. The Grand Army of the Republic Statue near St. Mary's Catholic Church. A very young face on this soldier.
5. The Ralph Engelstad Arena - home of the fighting Sioux.
6. The (sewage) lift stations named after newspaper columnists - Dave Barry is #16 - I am not making this up.
7. The Kegs Drive In where I had the sloppy joe special - be sure to bring a car since there is no indoor or outdoor seating.
I need to be thinking about the Seven Wonders of the Mankato Area.
Or the Seven Wonders of the Mankato Area Public Schools
1. The media and technology department...