London Marie was born yesterday, July 27 at about 12:15AM. Grandchild number four for the LWW and me (and first granddaughter). I am updating my wishlist that I created for her cousin Miles in 2005. and repeated for her cousin Theo in 2010. Education decisions take on a special importance when one realizes grandchildren will be benefit from good ones and be harmed by bad ones.
London will start school in 2017 or so. Here’s what I hope she finds:
- A place that cares as much about her happiness as her education.
- A place that cares more about her love of learning than her test scores and where it considered a mark of intelligence to ask questions and make mistakes.
- A place where she feels safe and welcome and can’t wait to get to every morning.
- A place that honors creativity more than memorization.
- A place that has a library full of stories and a librarian who makes them come alive.
- A place where technology compliments, rather than replaces, playing with blocks, finger-painting, naps, graham crackers, or a teacher’s soft encouragement.
- A place where she learns to work and play with kids who make not have been given the blessings of a middle-class lifestyle or a fully-functioning body or brain.
- A place that teaches kindness along with math, tolerance along with history, responsibility along with communication, and conservation along with science.
- A place where teachers are excited about teaching and passionate about encouraging the passions in their students.
- A place where she gets a chance to learn in lots of different ways from lots of different kinds of teachers.
Mom and baby are doing fine. Grandma finally has a reason to buy princess dresses along with Legos. - Grandpa Doug