I Will As a Teacher
Let’s have a little competition at school and get ready for the future. I, as a teacher, will use a laptop and you will use paper and pencil. Are you ready…?
- I can provide up-to-date information to my students
- you have a textbook that is 5 years old.
- I can find and change all my instructional materials, worksheets, study guides, tests, every year and place them online where students can access them easily
- you better hope the master is good enough for one more photocopy.
- I will model 21st century skills - technology, information-problem solving and life-long learning
- you will lecture about them.
- I will provide my visual learners an accessible means of grasping concepts through multimedia resources
- you can use simpler words and speak more slowly.
- I give my students a world-wide audience for their creative work
– you will share your students' work with the rest of the class. Sometimes.
- I will give my students access to study materials and resources online 24/7
- you hope they remember to bring home the textbook and worksheets.
- I will honor the range of reading abilities and interest of my students by providing topical materials on a variety of reading levels and subjects
- you will use the basal reader and the textbook.
- I will allow my students to take their learning as far as they want
– you will keep everyone at the same place at the same time.
- I will communicate with my students and parents electronically
- you can hope to catch them after class or at home in the evenings.
- I will give parents real-time access to how their children are performing in my class
- you send out report cards and have two parent-teacher conferences a year.
- I will use the information gathered from computerized value-added testing to know exactly what my individual students' strengths and weakness are
- you will use whole group instruction.
- I will stay current on best educational practices using online databases, listservs, professional blogs, and the myriad of news sources
- you can go to a conference once a year and read routed professional journals if they get to you.
- I will create a personal learning network with educational leaders, experts and colleagues using e-mail and social networks
– you will try to remember the advice of the instructor in your college methods class from 1980.
- I will collaborate with my peers from around the world
– you will stay behind your classroom door.
- I will save time by drawing on the generosity and genius of others who have created and shared digital versions of lesson plans, handbooks, templates, guidelines, reading lists, and more
- you will use the teacher's guide.
- I will harness the power of personal devices in the classroom to provide an interactive learning experience through response systems and tools
- you will ask students to raise their hand before they speak.
- The cost of a laptop per year? - $200
- The cost of teacher training? – Expensive, but no more so than other staff development activities
- The cost of effective schools? - Priceless
My notes show this was a take-off on a John Pederson posting, I Will for which the link no longer seems to work. I also show it was posted on the Abilene, Kansas High School Dialogue Buzz website:
Let’s have a little competition at school and get ready for the future. I will [as a student] use a laptop and you will use paper and pencil. Are you ready…?
- I will access up-to-date information - you have a textbook that is 5 years old.
- I will immediately know when I misspell a word – you have to wait until it’s graded.
- I will learn how to care for technology by using it – you will read about it.
- I will see math problems in 3D – you will do the odd problems.
- I will create artwork and poetry and share it with the world – you will share yours with the class.
- I will have 24/7 access – you have the entire class period.
- I will access the most dynamic information – yours will be printed and photocopied.
- I will communicate with leaders and experts using email – you will wait for Friday’s speaker.
- I will select my learning style – you will use the teacher’s favorite learning style.
- I will collaborate with my peers from around the world – you will collaborate with peers in your classroom.
- I will take my learning as far as I want – you must wait for the rest of the class.
- The cost of a laptop per year? - $250
- The cost of teacher and student training? – Expensive
- The cost of well educated US citizens and workforce? - Priceless